Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Words and Phrases for Which My Boss Has Used “Benign” As A Synonym


--small

--insignificant

--not legally actionable

--should not take much [of YOUR] time [nb: false, false, false]

--something which is neither here nor there; moot point

--low-cost

--easy

--annoying

--piddling/trifling


What “Benign” Actually Means


be·nign

adj \bi-ˈnīn\

1: of a gentle disposition : gracious

2 a : showing kindness and gentleness

b : favorable, wholesome

3a : of a mild type or character that does not threaten health or life; especially : not becoming cancerous

b : having no significant effect : harmless


Actual Synonyms for “Benign”

anodyne, harmless, hurtless, innocent, innocuous, inoffensive, safe

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Darlene said...

I worked with a gal that would say "as-sur-tn' instead of 'as-er-teyn'when saying the workd ascertain. Drove me straight over the edge, I kid you not. But she was 2 levels above me so I dared not correct...

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dude. Makes you want to put your own head through a wall, eh?

9:06 AM  
Blogger Cory said...

Oh, gosh. Hoped you never blogged about my attempted use of the English language.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Ha! No way. You're safe. :-)

11:42 PM  
Anonymous southwer said...

how is it possible that the stupidest people are always managers? how?

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home