Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"The Dark Continent is no place for an addict, Elaine."

Speaking of editorial madnesses: I have, through some mysterious combination of online ordering patterns (likely involving those fucking tank tops from J. Jill, the New York Times and New Yorker subscriptions, the interview suit from Banana Republic, a couple of Boden items, Yankees tchotchkes for my father-in-law, clown costumes, and the family membership to the San Francisco Zoo), apparently tripped a secret algorithm that caused me to be sent the J. Peterman catalogue -- and y'all, it is HILARIOUS! I actually got through the Seinfeld years without realizing this was really a thing -- and now I'm like, fuck, why would Elaine not want to work there for the rest of her life? I sure would! This is comedy gold, y'all, and the creative license is immense -- you can write WHATEVER YOU WANT, and they will print it, and it will sell $425 "Lizzy B" (as in Bennett) dresses, "Viva Argentina!" shirts and "The Rolls Royce of Travel Bags" to rich people with a nostalgia for long-ago eras of travel and adventure that never actually existed outside of Pixar movies.

Note to self: visit website, if there is one, and apply IMMEDIATELY.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Panda!!!! said...

Is it still an under-sized book with purposefully drawn product images? I remember seeing the catalog when I was a kid and thinking, "Don't these people know about cameras?"

10:23 AM  
Blogger Uncle Spike said...

Never heard of it, and I was not a big Seinfeld fan, so this is my first experience. Checking out the website right now. Pretty cool, and some neat descriptions of the shirts. The cologne also appeals.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either the company is based in or there's an outlet/factory store in the biggest town near me. We used to go and get that stuff wicked cheap!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home