Thursday, March 04, 2010

So like I started to say on Twitter, then realized I needed to expand just a bit: I don't begrudge anyone their understanding of or belief in whatever god. As a former churchgirl and current/longtime secular humanist agnostic, I don't get it -- but I'm inclined to leave it be, so long as it doesn't encroach on me and my (or anyone else's) personal liberties. The problem is, of course, that other people's goddiness does often encroach, and those are rants for another day.

Today, they don't so much encroach as annoy the living rational thinking-brained FUCK out of me. Because when a person suffers a traumatic and life-threatening cardiac event, then has his or her life saved by doctors and nurses trained in a very specific kind of science -- a science arrived at via centuries of relentless methodical inquiry, experimentation, and vast leaps of technology thought up and developed by human minds unwilling to accept prayer as the ultimate and only cure for what ails a mortal human body -- well. When that happens, I don't really be wanting to hear about how it was Jesus who did the saving.

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger uncouthheathen said...

So, so agree. With this. Not with your opinion of Sandra Bullock. I still have a wild hair about that one.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

Agreed. Glad you and yours are okay.

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

Nicely put. (See also: low fatalities in Chilean earthquake due to act of God and not strong governmental building codes). I'm glad science came through, and I hope all is well.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You all say so much about science, but who was there before science? Or who helped make the laws behind science? Someone or something had to make such laws...

5:41 PM  
Blogger Guinness74 said...

I'm just gonna assume that Anon is a troll and leave it at that. What was there before science? Lack of knowledge, trial and error, sheer luck. I'm a church-goer myself, but the god I choose to associate with doesn't go 'round tinkerin' with people's tickers just to get in good with the holy-rollers who wake up early on Sundays. It's the Anon's of the world who just don't get it.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Thanks, all of you -- we've come through the immediate crisis, though the recovery will take awhile.

Guinness, thanks for saying it for me. Love ya.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home