Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This is why I stay with Shatner, y'all.

Lemme axe y'all all something, a question raised by my participation in the entity known as Facebook: How come all the people I went to school with -- regular people, most of whom went to, you know, whatever church their family went to but didn't really give it all that much thought as far as I could tell, and most of whom seemed to be a lot less religious than I myself was (I was pretty churchy, for reals) -- how come most of them are now, like, really super-religious? Like they post how excited they are to go to church, they talk about "worship and fellowship," they bless each other all the time, they put up bible verses on their profiles. It's nuts. I don't get it.

Also, shocking scandal time: I keep writing comments to stories on the Hometowne Paper's website, in full compliance with the rules and regs but expressing what I gather is the minority opinion (e.g.: No, the proposed Bible class at my former high school -- a public high school, and the only game in town -- is actually not a good idea, even if it is offered as an elective and not a requirement) -- and they are NOT POSTING MY COMMENTS. I mean it. It's been three times now, on three different subjects. They just ignore/block my posts, but they allow an apparently infinite number of gems like this one, below, an actual comment posted to the Letter to the Editor written by an avowed Bible-studying Christian who does not think we need this class in our local high school. Comment says:

I agree with all of the comments on here so far. I was proud of [Cowburg] for being brave enough to even consider this and to stand up and give our children a chance to expand on their beliefs and the right to learn about God. Especially during this day and age where it seems that the mere utterance of God's name is a crime or something, but cursing, pre-marital sex, drugs, and alcohol are not only welcomed nowadays, but spread shamelessly throughout our towns, televisions, and schools as if it is just a normal way of life. Well, frankly, THAT is offensive to me and my children and yet, my children are forced to be subjected to it every day. At least this class is an elective. If your child doesn't like it, they don't have to take it, but don't stop others from having it. I am glad that someone has enough sense to bring back something good for our children for a change. I hope and pray [Cowburg] is brave enough to stand up in the face of so much adversity and instead of considering what the WORLD thinks, consider what is BEST for our children for a change! I hope [Cowburg] DOES offer the class. It sure will be a nice change of pace from what the students are used to hearing and seeing! For those of you who don't like it...deal with it...we've been dealing with you taking away our God for long enough! To the students out there that want this class, stand up for it! You are our future leaders and it is ultimately up to YOU what you allow to happen and what you don't allow. If it is right, stand up for it! You are taught over and over again, IN SCHOOL, to be leaders and to make a difference...well here's your chance! Go for it!
But I'm the nutjob whose posts are not fit for consumption, eh?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Panda!!!! said...

Your post made me curious about the debates raging in my own home town, and I learned that there is some controversy about building apartments where there is a pumpkin patch.

Also, the neighborhood old folks' home is under attack for wanting to expand.

Finally, they are scrubbing graffiti off storefronts in the downtown area.

Sadly, I cannot get all enraged about my own hometown politics.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Twelve said...

"[W]e've been dealing with you taking away our God for long enough!"

That says it all. I can't tell whether these folks are unwilling or unable to understand the idea of separation of church and state.

I've also been baffled by in-my-30s-now churchification. I've seen it mostly among peeps (1) with new babies, or (2) who are still unwillingly single. Maybe Jesus will bring them some tail.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Betsy said...

I haven't seen it much in my high-school folks, but I have noticed that all the former Eagle Scouts now self-identify as Libertarians.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

Waaait. Are they seriously considering this? And will there be consequences in the form of slashed federal funding if they do? Holy. Crap. (pun intended)

11:02 AM  
Blogger Juicy J said...

I agree with Twelve..it seems to be people who have just become parents who feel that they are somehow closer to god. Phooey. My sister in law and I no longer speak after she had my nephew and proclaimed I am an unfit aunt because of my agnostic beliefs. Her goals for her son include:
1. Patriotism
2. Love of God and the Bible
3. Respect for marriage between man and wife
4. NOT being gay of course ::shudder::
5. Marrying someone who is also blonde/blue eyes because a "brown person" will ruin family photos

I'm not making this up y'all. I almost jumped out of her car onto the freeway after she dropped the last bit on me.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Christine said...

I thought it was just me who had old classmates suddenly go all Bible-y. There is one specifically who posts his "all God/Jesus all the time" rants (in all caps complete with misspellings no less) frequently. Usually there are no comments or no "i like this" notations which is a relief. I have been considering unfriending him, but sometimes the rants make me giggle and I'm not ready to give those comedy jewels up just yet.

11:18 AM  
Blogger francine said...

oh, the conversations i could have about this go on and on. facebook is like viral marketing for jesus-finding or something.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home