Friday, June 26, 2009

Don't go around breakin young girls' hearts

Michael Jackson. GOD, you guys.

My sister and I used to put on the 45s of his songs and dance around like maniacs in our bedroom. I was convinced I’d meet him someday – preferably when he came to my school to thank me for starting a fan club for him. I had that poster of him with the yellow and white vest and shirt combo (and a button of the same image, which I wore everywhere). I was convinced I’d win the lottery for Victory tour tickets (I did not). I listened to Thriller so many times I wore the record out (you kids today think that's a figure of speech -- it's not). The videos were the first non-cartoon, non-Muppet TV I really truly mainlined in an obsessive way (MTV, unlike other channels, could just be left on all day long and you’d see the same things over and over and over and over). I just about DIED, watching him moonwalk w/the silver glove on that Motown special. I had a scrapbook into which I pasted a photo of him and the careful, hugely-written Magic-Markered words “Oh no!” over the headline about his hair catching fire in that Pepsi commercial. I tried to do his moves – no dice. Heh.

I grew out of it eventually – the obsession, not the original bunch of hits; those stand the test of time (I defy you to listen to “Billie Jean” or “Beat It” and remain unmoved).

And as he got weirder and weirder over time, I did what I always do with Teh Real Crazay: I mentally cut him off. I – like most people, I suspect – didn’t want anything to do with a Krazy that huge. I never knew what to do with it, you get me? I’d read news of his latest antics or legal trouble or whatever and just recoil with disgust and helpless dismay – but that’s all. And the news yesterday that he was dead … well, that just seemed like it was probably bullshit, some very weird publicity stunt, or an attempt to get out from under his various debts and obligations.

But it’s true, apparently. And of all people, Corey Feldman, on (of all things) Larry King, last night had some insight about the man that made me just power down. Feldman refused to discuss his personal falling-out with MJ, but said that the thing about MJ and kids was, kids were the only people on the planet who didn’t want something from him. He said, “[T]he reason why he was able to get along with children so well is because they didn't demand anything of him. So you could have a conversation with him, and it wasn't like you were secretly waiting for him to write a check or sign his name to a contract.”

That’s about the loneliest, saddest thing I’ve ever heard.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous T said...

Hmm, went through the same thing with him. (We're probably born in the same year or close to it).
Once he started up with the nonsense, he was pretty much off my radar. As I am watching marathon upon marathon (I feel like Alex in Clockwork, but voluntary?), I am getting sadder & sadder. Poor guy, I'd kill for that talent, the money would be ok too... Big family? Sounds great! None of it mattered. I wonder what he & his life would have been like if he didn't care about what anyone thought...

11:18 PM  
Anonymous berwie said...

I remember walking to your house after school one day for the inaugural meeting of the Michael Jackson Fan Club...or was it the GLC (Garfield Lover's Club)????

11:21 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Depends -- were we carrying our Garfies? Heh.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Juicy J said...

MJ was my first love. My best friend got a poster of him when we were kids and I was so jealous that I ripped it when she wasn't looking. She totally knew I did it and we got into a full on scratch fight!

Btw, I will let you into the Hot Lipz Club if I can gain entrance to the GLC....I'll bring lasagna!!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home