Monday, March 30, 2009

Everybody talking to their pockets, everybody wants a box of chocolates and a long-stem rose

I have developed a pretty serious Internets crush on this gal, and y’all, no one but her (she?) could inspire me to go on ahead and make a list inspired by something on FB. And of course I have no choice but to do it her way. So:

TOP TWENTY MOST INFLUENTIAL ALBUMS IN GLEEMONEX HISTORY
Part I of IV

Disintegration (The Cure, 1989)
Maybe I was late to the Cure party, but when I got there, this was playing. Over and over and over and over and over. I was fifteen. The time was right. Desperation, longing, loveliness, twelve songs that made me feel briefly like someone who did not, in fact, own any acid-wash jeans OR listen to this in the car on the way to see Cocktail at the Golden Triangle Mall. Which I did. Shut up. So did you.

Girlfriend (Matthew Sweet, 1991)
I was pretty sure I was going to meet and immediately marry Matthew Sweet. I almost named my kid Evangeline (seriously, it was on the short list, in 2007. Thus is the Power of the Sweet).

Appetite for Destruction (Guns n’ Roses, 1987)
Didn’t get into Axl n’ Pals till a couple of years after this came out, but converts are always the worst zealots. {Berwie, HHL, Lab Partner, Kingfish – good times, y’all, good times. The Incident till makes a fun lil’ story, 18 years later, don’t it?}

Thriller (Michael Jackson, 1983)
My first musical obsession that wasn’t Muppet-related. People, I made a fan club. I convinced myself he’d be stopping by to see me at school one day, to thank me for starting a fan club.

Pump Up the Volume [soundtrack] (various artists, 1990)
You know, back when we lived in a little town without a music store and didn’t have the Internets or a driver’s license and/or husbands who kept us hooked into the new-music synapse chain, we learned about “alternative” music from 94.9 THE EDGE, or else soundtracks from movies that starred a pre-be-hairplugged Xtian Slater. Concrete Blonde (and L. Cohen, in a roundabout way), Henry Rollins, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Cowboy Junkies, the fucking PIXIES!!!! Ho shit. I wore this tape the fuck OUT.

PS: Don't worry, bitches, I'll get to the Beatles at some point. People who name their kids after one of them are clearly influenced by the Fabs, OK? Chill your shit.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous traceace said...

Yeah I too love the GNR. Nothing like a mosh pit in my wedding dress and we are all circling the table with Weev on top (thought it may tumble down). It was Paradise City.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Still wondering why we didn't hang out more. These are almost exactly what I would have picked. (Though, a New Order and/or Joy Division would have taken G&R's coveted spot.)

And I named my kid after a Beatle.

7:58 AM  
Blogger francine said...

awesome. more more more!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Kingfish said...

The Dirty Dozen. I have any garbled images of my youth, but sitting in the jail cell in Denton County and singing "Patience" is something I will always remember.

11:16 AM  
Blogger bethie said...

Evangeline is the #1 name on my list when or if I ever pro-create and have a girl. Luckily, dear husband is also a fan and on board with this.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

traceace: This is the rare instance I wish there was videotape of something I was involved with. That was the most fun EVER!!! I totally manhandled Kent's dad onto the dance floor, too, btw.

bgirl: Guess it was just the one year difference -- cause, damn, it was fun every time we did hang out together! (BTW, which Beatle?)

Francine: your wish, my command. ;-)

Kingfish: Don't suppose you still have the T-shirt we had made?

Bethie: the only reason Mr. Gleemonex and I eventually struck Evangeline from the list is, it felt a little weird for two agnostics/atheists to name their kid that. Heh. Still do love it, though.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Nobes said...

Disintegration is mind-blowing. And "Same Deep Water As You" may be one of the greatest songs ever written. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bite my wrists until I diiiiiiie.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Kingfish said...

I don't remember getting a t-shirt, but I'm aware that they existed.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You get points for the whole Pump Up The Volume soundtrack thing, but can there be a better soundtrack than Pretty In Pink? I think not! Smiths! New Order! OMD! Psychadelic Furs! Need I go on???

3:46 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Know what's funny, Tony? When R. and I were discussing this last night he said, "You should've said the Pretty in Pink soundtrack. That was the best one ever!" I told him you said that, and he laaaughed and laughed and said "It's basically the Club T soundtrack." :-)

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home