Thursday, June 17, 2010

That which lies buried in the cortex

So I’m by myself in the elevator at work yesterday (and please believe me, I am as christless tired of work, and of talking about work, as you are of hearing about it, but the setting is important because this is where I am supposed to be all professional and shit), and it stops a couple of floors down and a tall, sweet-faced rangy/awkward guy with a corona of blond curls gets in, and (certain of you gals know where this is going) driven by a force I did not realize had such power, my mouth actually began forming the word “Krakow!” This impulse was so strong that a strangulated “k…” sort of came out really quietly as my brain stomped hard on my treacherous sound-maker, going (at neuron-melting speed) “SHUT UP MOUTH! Leave the poor Krakow-bastard alone!”

But then later I was like, come on – you have options for dressing yourself and styling your hair that will not provoke this type of near-ungovernable response in women my age, so really, if the brain had failed to manually override the speaking mechanism, would it really have been my fault? Srsly. Krakow.

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Krakow.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

Knowing your workplace, this Krakow doppelganger was probably too young to understand what he was channeling.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually had to spend minutes on Google figuring out what you were talking about. You do realize that Poland takes up a bunch of space on the internet.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

kylydia: I always thought Krakow probably did OK in life, didn't you? HS was tough, but he got it mostly figured out eventually. Of course his wife probably gets annoyed by the look on his face when he tells her Angela friended him on Facebook, f'rinstance. heh.

Panda: so sad, and so true.

Slugger: ha! Didn't think of that. But I figured you'd be in the demographic -- i.e., people about my age -- that would know automatically. :-)

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm in the demographic, make no mistake about that. Psst, btw, we're getting old! Anyway, I never watched much "so-called life" because I was too penned into my own. I probably was Krakow...or a sadder version of him.

8:21 PM  
Blogger cygrl73 said...

FYI: Me thinketh Krakow has made a decidedly less blonde appearance on "The Gates" recently.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home