Monday, May 24, 2010

About LOST night … (WARNING: SPOILERS!)

Well. Huh.

Soooo … it was … they were all dead? Like from the time of the crash? But then … what’s with the whole Jacob & [MIB] thing? And Desmond wasn’t on the plane, but he’s there? Is Desmond Jesus? Is Jack? MUST someone be, or can we stay out of the realm of Judeo-Christian mythology in our storytelling for goddamn motherfucking once? Did the end HAVE to be in a church (nice touch with the stained-glass window, though)? Does the island actually exist? All along I wanted it to be real, and the people to be alive (until KIA by, say, smoke-tyrannosaurs, EMEs, crazy jungle ladies, or what have you). Although it is strangely comforting to see everyone at peace in the end, more so than I would have thought, with their struggles over and their battles fought. Also I cried a couple of times. SHUT UP, SO DID YOU.

And … but …

Huh.

I just … I mean … like: whaat?

It wasn’t Sopranos, for which I am grateful (because I don’t want to go to jail and probably I would have when the cops caught me going Left-Eye on JJ, Damon & Carlton’s houses as I had sworn to do if they tried any cheapshit monkey business like that), but it wasn’t Wire-worthy either. It was … strange. I’m going to have to sit with it awhile to see if, ultimately, it was satisfying or not. You?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Twelve said...

I haven't seen any Lost yet. I only just finished the Sopranos last month, so I'm a little slow. Sounds like a very Sixth Sense kind of ending.

Mainly, I'm commenting to register my delight with the phrase "going Left-Eye on [something]." Good work; I know exactly what that would look like, down to the setting-sneakers-ablaze.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Spanish Johnny said...

Considering how awful the storytelling had been over the past two or three seasons, I thought the finale was a huge success. For the most part, it got back to what drew us to the show in the first place: the characters and their relationships. Fuck all that Jacob Sci-Fi channel bullshit. Allison Janney? Are you kidding me? I would bet money that J.J. Abrams came back and wrote or contributed heavily to this episode. No way those other two hacks, Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof -- who ruined the show after taking it over -- could have pulled off such a thoughtful episode. They should never be allowed near any sort of entertainment project again. They are just awful.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Guinness74 said...

I'm a little confused as well. Plus, watching it so late (on TiVo after the monkey went to bed) probably didn't make for real coherence either. But "Christian Shepherd"?! I don't think we can avoid the Judeo-Christian bent.

Anyway, I wanted the island to be real as well and let Bernard and Rose live there forever and what not...and maybe even have some folks come visit.

Plus, why were Frank Lapidus (pilot) and Myles (talks to dead people) not in the church at the end?

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The island and everything was real. Christian said everyone dies but they died at different times. They didn't die during the crash. Since Claire & Kate left on the plane they could have died from old age. The sideways world was after they died, but they were there as they knew each other from the island waiting for everyone so they all could move on.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

OK -- thanks to you all, I'm feeling better ... and liking it more. I didn't care about the Mysteries, but I just was kind of flummoxed there for a bit.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

I appreciated the emotional and relationship closure and I loved seeing Shannon, but hated seeing her suck face with Sayid.

But I also wish there were a bit more resolved re: the island. I'm not sure the whole cork-in-a-bottle deal sits well with me. Is the light good? Evil? Locke?

Where was Bai Ling?

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home