Tuesday, September 22, 2009

5150, indeed.

Things Which Confound and Annoy:

Hack City USA
WTF was up with House last night? I mean, I get it, but I’m talking specifically about the 12-year-catatonia lady. No spoilers, don’t worry (there’s likely to be a 12-year-catatonia lady in any mental hospital worth its salt, amirite?) – it’s just that what they did with her was telegraphed from like Minute One, was taken from the Big Book of Mental Hospital Movie/TV Cliches, should probably have involved Robin Williams or Mandy Patinkin, and was absolutely, hysterically laughable. As a House fan, I’m used to fantastic leaps of logic – leaps so fantastic they’re more like magick – but this catatonia-lady thing, holy Haldol-sweating Shatner, y’all. It was way beneath them, and bodes ill for the coming season. I hope it’s just a quick detour through Hack City while road work is being done on the Interstate, and not a permanent stay in the Hack City Motor Inn & Diner (air-conditioning! Three free channels of TV! Ice machines!).

Have you no sense of decency, sir?
By which I mean: Where's the love for the hyphen these days? I'm all for constructions that suit the moment (see: every entry ever on this blog), but as my eighth-grade English teacher, Mrs. Johnson, used to say to our endless whining bitchery about having to diagram sentences: "You have to know the rules before you can break them." But people are just leaving hyphens out whenever, wherever, and putting them in in the same fashion, and it's just TOTAL ANARCHY. A hyphen means something, people. You can't just decide it's "extrathick" instead of "extra-thick" just because you think hyphens are fuddy-duddy, Cookie magazine. OhIhateyousomuch.

The boys of summer
Why is the World Series starting so fuckin late this year? Oct. 28? And scheduled to run into November? WTF, MLB? The only other time it's been that late was because of the Sept. 11 attacks. This is inexcusable.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a comment for everything today! Yay me!

1) Yeah, I thought House was a little odd, but I think it's just a detour. I mean, a 2-hour "event" with minor stars like Potente and Braugher can't be the norm. Plus, C. says she likes that they're doing something with the House character, rather than just remaining status quo. So I gotta figure that the catatonia/superhero was just filler.

2) I'm an overuser of ellipses. It started when I first opened up a blog and I can't seem to stop. Don't know much about hyphens, but the wife likes Cookie more than Parents, not that we can afford anything that they talk about.

3)Thou shalt not disparage the lengthening of the holy season of baseball. Wouldn't it be great if it was just year-round so we wouldn't have to hear about the likes of Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Kobe Bryant?

6:13 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

And I, to yours! :-)

1) Filler indeed. The rest was good stuff. Just, come ON with the catatonia BS. Srsly.

2) I use ellipses like other people use oxygen. So I'm totes with you on that.

3)I definitely hear ya ... but WANT WORLD SERIES. WHY HIM TV MAKE ME WAIT?

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home