Monday, August 04, 2008

Just so long as he remembers YOU wear the pants in the family.

Can we please, PLEASE stop referring to inanimate objects as “she”? Holy trussed-up Thanksgiving Shatner with a side of sautéed pigeons’ nuts, does that make me sick.

There’s this commercial that plays all the time during Yankees games, in regular rotation with the various dick/colon/hair-issues commercials – I don’t even know what it’s for and I don’t care, because it’s about this kid out riding his bike, finding a junker car parked by the side of the road with a note taped to it that says “If you can fix her, you can have her,” where “her” is the fucking junker car.

Ugh. You love “her” so much, you just left “her” by the side of the road for the taking, by whoever wants to slap a new coat of paint on “her,” tinker with the engine a little, and show “her” off to his similarly socially retarded friends? So creepy and lame.

Ships, cars, guitars, various machines and other toys that your basic boy-in-a-man-body type persists in calling “she” – it’s such affected, annoying bullshit. And on a related note, if I hear someone saying that X Object is “like a woman,” I instantly assume I’m dealing with at best a silly delusional wannabe ladies’ man, and at worst a misogynist a-hole who sees women as so Other that there can be no common ground – I’m just a pair of tits and a vagina to him, so why are we even talking?

“She.” Gimme a fucking break.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what you get for watching Yankees games! *laughing*

Actually, I think the personification of objects is due to an influence from foreign languages wherein every object has a "gender", e.g. el gato (masculine cat), la cocina (female kitchen)

Or it could be a hold over from Chico Marx..."She's-a no good Groucho, she won't go."

However, I'm with you on the "like a woman" bit. It had better be a woman, if it's like a woman. Otherwise, you're just a douche.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Ahh, Slugger -- you do get me, don't you? :-)

I give a pass to people for whom English is not their first language, and consequently are hardwired to think of objects as gendered -- but otherwise, Hell To The No.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now its been a while since I dabbled in the romance languages but was automobile/car femanine or masucline? does it pay out? cuz if its a masculine assigned object then yur second language option fails as well. and solidifies your initial thought -douchbaggery at its finest

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To anon:

It may depend on the language...and the vehicle. Spanish for example allows for both: el carro (I kid you not!) or el autobus are both masculine, however, la motocicleta is feminine.

To Glee: I'm slowly getting you...but I am beginning to understand the intricacies...and it scares the hell out of me!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Slugger, doll: The main thing is to know that while I talk a mean gaem -- and generally mean what I say -- I also have a Big Book O' Free Passes and Random Exceptions, with which I am quite profligate.

Also, I'm real loud. So there's that ... ;-)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Game.

The word is "game." I don't know what the fuck a gaem is.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gaem: 1) a small omnivorous animal from the forested area of Cambodia, approx. three inches in length. Known to inhabit forest detritus esp. hollow logs, 2) distance measure equal to three parsecs or, 3) acronym Generally Ass-backwards Etymology Meanings.

I really need to go back to work! :)

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home