Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Kick off your Sunday shoes: Potpourri Wednesday

GOES TO SLEEP BY FALLING DOWN ON HIS FACE
This is the blog of a right-thinking person of sterling intellectual quality and unimpeachable good taste. You should all get hip to the Righteous that is Spanish Johnny today – he will tell you whether you are a douchebag and why (FYI: probably you are). Mach schnell, people. Mach fucking schnell.

CETTE RUE N'EST PAS UNE TOILETTE POUR VOTRE CHIEN.
Stolen from BlabberMouse, who is obviously real good people and would totally be my BFF if I had one of those: Photos ruined by photobombers (people who deliberately fuck with your photos while you’re taking them). So funny I cried, like twice at least. For some reason, these sort of reminded me of that time at Versailles when me & Mr. Gleemonex and our friends the Smeefers saw this trashopean couple taking pix of each other in front of the fountains, doing deep-knee rock squats, complete with flying devil horns, for completely indecipherable but clearly non-goofing, serious reasons; this of course caused a total breakdown on our part, and we spent the rest of the day taking pix of each other that way, which only got funnier the more wine we consumed. Yay France!

WITH HIS DAUGHTER SITTIN LIKE A CHERRY ON TOP OF IT
I’m sure I surprise no one when I say that I have more than a passing familiarity with the Footloose soundtrack. Between the number of times I’ve seen the movie (literally uncountable, it must be somewhere in the upper one-hundreds, closer to 200 than 100) and the fact that it was one of the first cassettes I ever owned and I played it back to back to back to back to back until it wore completely out and started sounding all Satany, I know all the songs (and their placement in the movie) better than I know my own ABCs. (Seriously: Ask me which comes first, M or P, and I’ll have to think a second, but ask me what scene boasts the audio classic “Dancing in the Sheets,” and “the one at the drive-in Sonic type place when Ariel pops in a tape and they all bust a move until Lithgow blows in and shuts that shit down, DUH” comes out my mouth before I realize I’ve spoken at all.)

All of which is to say: These are “reimaginings” of the songs from the Footloose soundtrack, the title track of which it took me an unforgivable ten seconds to figure out what it was when Mr. Gleemonex played me it out of his laptop – Kenny Loggins gdangy-guitaring OUT, soft brokenhearted emo gurgling IN! It is astonishing, trust me.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Princess Sparkle Pants said...

Footloose was the very first record (yes, vinyl) I ever bought with my own money, and I wore it out, with many tears (Arial was so pretty, I wanted to be just like her) in my own 80s time. This also led to the purchase of Bonnie Tyler's Faster than the Speed of Night album... Man, I miss the 80s.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Heh, I had it on vinyl too -- also Thriller, which I wore out, and the soundtrack to The Muppet Movie.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure we'd get along swimmingly. You know, in an unblemished swimming pool with no discoloration.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home