Thursday, October 22, 2009

Danson machine

Internets, can we please talk about late-career Danson for a second here?

Holy white-haired Shatner, is he awesome! I never thought much about him one way or another, post-Cheers (and even that was mostly on while I was a kid -- I never watched it regularly or anything), and I’m assuming he has giant houses next to his houses just to hold all his F-You money because of his many years of syndicated network TV, so he actually probably never has to get off the couch ever again if he doesn’t want to. So it’s triply awesome how awesome he is.

We started watching Bored to Death mostly because of Schwartzman – the Gleemonex household has a Thing about him, from Phantom Planet and Rushmore and sundry other whatnots. And of course there’s Galligaskin, or whatever, whose abject bearded desperation is as hilarious as it is mesmerizing.

But the revelation – the absolute astonishment – is Ted Fucking Danson. He absolutely owns every scene he’s in, he’s hysterically funny, he’s a complete lizard, you forget he’s a fictional character – you actually even forget it’s someone you know who plays the character. It’s to the point where I almost don’t care what’s happening in the other scenes – just move it along so we can get to the Danson parts, goddammit.

So hey, Danson! Rawk.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger uncouthheathen said...

I guess I'm gonna need to add this to my busy television schedule. I'm sure I can shift a few things around, but we're getting pretty full over here.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Princess Sparkle Pants said...

I really did not see this one coming. I think Shatner is now envious.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Pops said...

Couldn't agree more. He looked so weird for years while he kept trying to stay young looking. He should have let that hair go white a looong time ago. Every week we are so excited to find out what batshit crazy advice he is following from his therapist or his latest love interest. That show RULES!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Guinness74 said...

I have not see Bored to Death...but I loved Danson in Becker. I contributed greatly to his house collection simply by watching that on the 3 different channels (I shit you not!) that it was on every day. My wife was about to kill me. But, Becker embodied everything I wanted to say directly to people on a daily basis.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Harry said...

I was just thinking this after seeing him in Bored and his awesome cameos in Curb.

7:46 PM  
Blogger francine said...

blackface-era danson scared me a little but i always crushed on him when i watched cheers as a kid. i've got to watch this new show then!

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love little Jason and have a fond place in my heart for those old Cheers regulars. I will have to check this out.

~eva

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home