Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cuts like a knife

Can I please just ask you all: What the fuck happened to Nicole Kidman’s face? I saw her on Letterman (I think) the other night, and it’s like … wow. Um. Jeeeezus. Yikes. Meg Ryan’s is worse, but not by much. There’s all this … twisting, and pushing, and odd ballooning going on. Remember when she used to be naturally pretty but sorta chipmunky, with cute chubster cheeks, the nose she was born with, and curly red hair? And but then Dead Calm was a success, so she Americaned-up her look (went more blond, had a little refinement work done, dropped a few pounds, met and fell under the thrall of Tom Cruise) (as you do), made the seriously awesome To Die For, and then started down a long bad ugly road of tinkering with the original equipment – which puts us where we are today.

Nicole, Nicole, Nicole. Good SHATNER, woman – where does it stop, this eternal terrible chase for the unwinnable prize of eternal youth and physical perfection? You are 41 – it’s debasing, trying to look 21. Who gives a shit about 21-year-olds? I mean, they’re gonna be 41 eventually too, and there’s always someone younger, thinner, prettier, creamier-skinned – why not take the best care of what you’ve got, and wrest free of the power you’ve allowed other people to have over you?

PS: This goes for every woman – I don’t mean to pick on NicKid specifically. Age gracefully, is all I’m saying. To all of us.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Spanish Johnny said...

Her husband can't be helping. In some circles, I'm sure he's considered even prettier than she is, what with his effete, beautifully highlighted hair and milky white skin. Plus, he has the voice of an angel.

But, let's not also forget that, as Australians, they come from rather unsavory stock. Twas a colony of criminals at its outset, no? What's that? Keith Urban's a Kiwi? What the fuck is a Kiwi? A New Zealander? Really? And that's not considered derogatory? Like the n-word? You don't think so? Well, that's because you're racist. Yes, you are. I'm taking a stand here. I refuse to use the k-word and urge you to do the same.

Where were we? Oh, right. Nicole Kidman. Eh. Looks like she used Photoshop's Gausssian Blur feature on her actual face and not just a picture of it.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya and agree with you in theory, but speaking from experience, it's hard not to consider alternatives when you look in the mirror and spot the beginning of hound dog jowls or some other insult of Mother Nature.
Of course, that's not Nicole's excuse. I can't help but wonder if she ever has 2nd thougths about what she's done to her face. I'm sure Meg Ryan )aka The Joker) does.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

And you know, I don't judge a little nip here, a little tuck there -- I'm ascairt of surgery in general, so I don't think I'd do it myself, but I well understand the urge to improve, especially for people who spend their lives on camera. But past a certain point, it's ... well, pointless. She'll -- WE'LL -- never be 21 again, so why chase the uncatchable?

10:51 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Oh, and I meant to say: I laughed most unprettily at the Gaussian blur thing, SJ ... MOST unprettily!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home