Thursday, November 20, 2008

Makes Francine Paschal look like Harper Fucking Lee.

Girl next to me on the bus was reading a book – a “trade paperback,” as we say in the biz, not a romance novel, and my eye fell upon this actual, apparently non-ironic sentence:

Nikki(1) blushed, thinking of Eric’s devil-may-care attitude(2), bad-boy smile(3) and chiseled body.(4)

Wait a minute. Did Michael Patterson write this?

---------

(1) It’s always Nikki, isn’t it?
(2) "Devil-may-care”? Really? In a contemporary “novel”?
(3) Come ON.
(4) I just bet. And considering that the setup is that it’s been 10 years since she’s seen him, I wouldn’t hold out too terribly much hope for the chiseling. “Bad boys” don’t tend to age well, sister.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Spanish Johnny said...

Fuck! That was going to be the final line to my short story!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Princess Sparkle Pants said...

My mental image of "Eric" is now exactly the same as my image of Michael Phelps. Eric sounds like another douchebag who would be fine as long as he permanently wears a bag on his head. What was this story called???

6:21 AM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

Re: (2). Maybe this was a period piece?

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG. There are all these fat old ladies who read books encased in book holders (is that what they're called?) I have a bad habit of always wanting to know what strangers in waiting rooms and buses are reading, so I sneaked a peak into all their books.

Yep - romance novels.

Sad (says she, all superior).

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home