Friday, November 07, 2008

Half a Dozen Awesome: Things That are Fucking Awesome

I am in a kickass mood these days, what with President-Elect Obama coolin' it up all over the place. So, for a happy Friday, enjoy these, my preciousssssesss:

1) will.i.am on Anderson Cooper/CNN on Election Night ... via hologram!!! They didn't explain it or talk about the fact of it, they were just like, "Oh hey, here's will.i.am via hologram. Hey man, what's up?" I hereby declare that any appearance I ever do on any kind of televised media will henceforth be via fucking HOLOGRAM. People are going to start to wonder whether I do, in fact, exist or am I some kind of foulmouthed avatar or am I from the future or what. It's going to rule.

2) Palin 2012. Oh my god, y'all, that is fucking HYSTERICAL! Please, Republickans. PLEASE do this. It will be the funniest Presidential race in history. Y'all won't carry a single precinct. Except maybe my own personal hometown, because them peoples is crazy. And frankly, most of them are suspicious of anyone who DOES know that Africa is a continent and that the countries comprising North America are us, Canada & Mexico.

3) LL Bean Wicked Good Slippers. I just got mine. They're red, they're lined with shearling, they are the best $49.95 I've spent in a long long time.

4) The Happy Fun Box. Y'all, teevee is really good right now, even though there'll be no more Mad Men for like a billion more years (aka nine months or so). Two particular mentions, if I may: I love 30 Rock with the openhearted love you can give a warm soft Labrador puppy, only it's more verbal and cerebral and ... just, goddamn I love that show. And Friday Night Lights (exclusively on HD Seekrit Channel $%--niner Whiskey Hotel Charlie Bravo): Shatner bless you kids. Can we just pretend Season 2 never happened? I don't even care about the timeline fudgery that has Saracen & Julie (S1 sophomores) and Riggins & Lyla & Tyra (S1 seniors) all currently seniors, with Street & Smash (also S1 seniors) both done graduated ... who fucking cares? Welcome back!

5) This article on Salon, from my GenX to the goddamn Boomers, essentially saying that with Obama's election, we get it now. But the best part is how the writer really gets us: "We aren't joiners. We don't like carrying signs. We tend to disagree, if only on principle." "We went to church and learned about God's divine plan every Sunday, but all it took was one Dr. Seuss cartoon about an entire world that existed on a speck of dust, and our belief in God was deconstructed in an instant. Our childhoods were one long existential crisis. We ate Happy Meals while watching the space shuttle blow into tiny bits." "Things were much worse now, worse than ever -- but we'd always expected that they would be, eventually. That's one of the few rewards of being deeply pessimistic, of being trained to lower our expectations, of living in a constant state of distrust and learned helplessness." There's more, and it's really pretty uplifting. Read it, y'all!

6) Satsuma Mandarins from Capay Organic Farms (but you can get them anywhere). Heaven in a tiny orange seedless easy-to-peel globe.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Panda!!!! said...

Re: Friday Night Lights. I am halfway through Season 2 and really can't be bothered to watch it, but I'm hearing such good things about Season 3 that I'm excited to wait for it to visit NBC in 2009.

Meanwhile, my first disc of Freeks and Geeks just arrived via Netflix.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

I literally fell on the floor laughing at the will.i.am. (what an effing waste of a name that is) hologram.

I am also deeply depressed that I will not be seeing Don Draper agina any time soon. DID YOU SEE HIS SNL? God, I thought my fangirl crush couldn't get any worse...

1:07 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Panda: return the rest of S2. It can only taint the memory of the wonder that was S1. Wait for S3. Honest, I wouldn't steer ya wrong.

bgirl: for real! my god, that was hilarious. But also. Holy smokes, Jon Hamm on SNL ... [fans self]

2:21 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

oh and FREAKS AND GEEKS -- oh my flaming Shatner, are you in for a treat, Panda! I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kingfish said...

Glee...you know that hand gesture with the fingers to the eyes and then pointing back to you thing? Yeah.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Right back atcha, Kingfish.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home