Monday, July 18, 2011

I ride this train regularly! Twice a week! So I suppose I've SOME rights!

Three things for y'all today:

1) Somebody should develop an iPhone app sorta like Shazam for finding out what language people are speaking. These three incredibly & naturally good-looking* tall young people dropped into the four-seat across the aisle from me on the train this morning, and spent the whole time talking to each other in a language I could not recognize. I think it might have been Dutch -- sort of vaguely German-ey (but not guttural), lilting (but not South-African-ey), not many distinguishable diphthongs, no rolled consonants. I wanted to know, and I could not ask -- I'm always afraid I'm going to sound like the worst most hickish rube of all time if I ask, like no matter what words I actually say it'll sound like "HEY GOLLLEEEE WHERE'S Y'ALL FROM?" So get on it, app developers of the world.

2) I wish there were a way to de-frag the human brain, deleting old files as you go, because there is apparently a readily-accessible segment in mine which holds the entire lyrics to the crappy-90s-Aerosmith songs "Crazy" AND "Cryin," along with a pretty reliably complete track of the video of the former (way to cast your teenage daughter in super-hot sexy stuff there, Steve -- ace parenting decision, good sir!). Although had I deleted that segment long ago, as would have been proper, I would not have come up with the oft-used tag "cryin' amazacrazy," itself a ripoff of a long-ago SNL bit that ran a bunch of crappy-90s-Aerosmith songs together thusly ... so, I dunno, maybe the real estate is worth it after all. I can never stand to delete real files on my actual computers, either.

3) Three books that just now made it onto my Amazon wishlist:

This Common Secret
Our Man in Havana
Dear Angela: Remembering My So-Called Life


---------------------------------------
*As opposed to enhanced and/or professional -- you know how you can always tell when a person makes his or her living off of his or her looks? They weren't like that. They were like people who would live in Eden. Give them green contacts and they would be great as Crakers in the movie of the MaddAddam trilogy.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trilogy? What's the third book?

11:42 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

It isn't here yet - Year of the Flood only came out in 2010, but on the back cover it says "trilogy," so I am COUNTING on another one. :-)

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, my copy doesn't say that :(
I will proceed to anticipate. Thanks!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Sana H said...

This Common Secret is a good one to give to someone who is pro-choice without being ready to wage war for the right.

(And I WILL soon stop commenting on year old posts. It's that kinda night. They are putting me to work soon and this kinda night is gonna stop happening, so.)

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home