Thursday, May 29, 2008

ReaLime is neither real, nor lime. Discuss.

Can I just please ask all of y’all what is the goddamn DEAL with American mass-produced major label “breweries” adding “lime” to their basic light beer product these days? Were any of you, my people, consulted on this, or did the secret sinister cabal of marketing department heads just come up with it in some sort of ungodly justify-my-job all-nighter and decide to push the concept simultaneously on an unsuspecting and ill-defended populace? Conditioned by years of Diet “Cherry” “Vanilla” “Licorice” Carbonated Soda Liquid, fat-free "chocolate" cake bitelets and those horrifying hot dogs with cheez inside, do we, a once-proud nation, now clamor for such a substance? Has it really come to this?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger HHL said...

As an Uncle of your acquaintance might aver, it's all about the shelf space, baby.

I picked up a habit a while back (from a borderline insane drinking buddy of mine) of reflexively following my Dos Equis order with the directive "No Fruit".

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some Diet C w/lime, however I ascribe to the Man Law that says "Thou Shalt Not Fruit Your Beer," even tho I am not a man.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely the result of a marketing memo. Subject: Beer Coolers. My husband can't get angry enough about the topic of fruited beers. So thank you for bringing this subject to the forefront.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Margot from TT...I think the lime added to beers these days is in response to the growing Hispanic population in the US. You really should try the "chelada" style Budweiser and Clamato with lime and salt though...it's AWESOME (as I said on TT recently). Rednecks like me know it as a "redeye."

11:21 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

But Margot -- I'd do that myself! The boyz at my favorite restaurant y cantina do a great one. I just can't handle the thought of it coming prefabbed in a can.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In college, my bsest friend's boyfriend interned at budweiser and recieved a case a month of Tequiza with the suggestion of, essentially, "see how the ladies like it." Ladies, we've offically been targeted as the consumers of overpriced, bitter, pre-fab beer.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Te. Qui. Za.

[dies]

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home