Thursday, March 27, 2008

Guilt-flecked Thursday

I have to tell you, I am troubled by the fact that every single item we bought at Target and Babies R Us for KidGleemonex the last few days -- she's starting solid foods, which requires lots of paraphernalia, and will be attending a house party at Diamond Mike & Blondie's soon, which requires (incredibly adorable) swimsuits, swim diapers, etc. -- every single non-food item was made in China. This I realized when I was going through everything, cutting off tags and peeling away layers and layers of durable plastic product-packaging exoskeleton.

Why must this be the case? Is it REALLY that much cheaper to have things made on the other side of the Earth and shipped here in durable plastic product-packaging exoskeletons? I'd pay the extra fucking fifty cents for a 10-pack of bibs that were made on this continent, but the Baby-Industrial Complex gives me no choice, and so here I am, feeling uselessly, unproductively guilty. Bleah.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Panda!!!! said...

Um, look at where you work, my friend. Yes, it DOES make a difference and companies NEED to make margin. Didn't you appreciate your bonus this year?

8:35 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

You mean the less than half of the stated amount of the bonus, which the more than half portion went to taxes to fund Operation Desert Boondoggle? Yeah ...

I'd rather have used the bounsu money to buy things built on this continent, is all. Panda!!!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

And imagine the carbon footprint of flying that crap from China. Not to mention the environmental impact of those exoskeltons - which if we're talking about the same ones I'm thinking are insanely complicated, thick and un-recyclable most of the times.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

One and the same, Tony.

----------------------
SPELLING POLICE:

"bounsu money"

My god. Have I no sense of decency, sirs? Have I at long last no sense of decency?

2:46 PM  
Blogger Meanie said...

Oh my god, my husband took the wind from my retail therapied sails this weekend when he announced that every single item I bought was made i China.

(p.s. solid food is highly overrated)

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home