Tuesday, February 26, 2008

GOD, I was such a BADASS back in the day.

Things I Can’t Believe I Was Allowed to Do as a Teen, But It Was Really OK That I Was Allowed, Because I Was a Goody Two-Shoes and Nothing Actually Happened, But Still.

--Pile in my friend CB’s mom’s minivan with a half dozen other shrieking teenage girls, drive ten hours on the highway to Lubbock, TX to see our high school get totally destroyed in the 3A Regional Boys’ Basketball Tourney, and stay over at the motel where everyone was staying. This was, I think, junior year, or possibly even sophomore year – at any rate, yes there was a bathtub full of ice and wine coolers, and no, none of our parents thought this was really all that bad an idea. I suspect they didn’t know about the bathtub.

--Spend several days of spring break, senior year of high school, in a Residence Inn in Ft. Worth with what seems now to have been a pretty random group of my friends, for the sole and stated purpose of going to clubs every night. My dad didn’t believe for one second that we weren’t drinking, but we weren’t. Because we didn’t plan ahead and didn’t get anyone to buy us any alco-ma-hol. Really.

--Drive. I mean it, I was like a wreck/police magnet, as many older posts will show. And those weren’t the half of it – that was just when I got caught. People, I was and am a danger to myself and others on the road.

--Go visit my older bro at UT-Austin when I was (I think) 17. I guess they figured the future law blogger would be a good-enough chaperone?

--At sixteen, babysit a pair of rich kids for an entire school week in their home waaaay out in the boonies. The girl was a good friend of my sister’s, and only three years younger than me, and her brother was I think three years younger than her. These people left me in charge of driving their kids to and from school, supervising homework, making meals, monitoring TV viewing, etc. I was a Responsible kid, sure, but – sixteen is sixteen. I’m not sure that was even legal.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Moms said...

You brother is the best chaperone I can think of for a 17 year old girl in Austin!:)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Actually, moms, I think that was the logic. Heh. Ain't nobody gonna put the moves on me with him in shootin' distance.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home