Thursday, February 21, 2008

Like a goddamn Tori Amos song in human form

Sorry I didn't post yesterday -- yada yada yada my computer suffered the blue screen of death. Fun times.

So, where were we? Ahh, yes, Laura Linney, the first in a series of Movie Rules that I will post whenever another of my many rules crosses what passes these days for my mind.

Movie Rule: Laura Linney
I am not about seeing movies which contain Laura Linney. I've got no beef with her personally -- it's just that every movie she's in seems to be about bitter dysfunctional half-crazy families, with her as the bitterest most dysfunctional one of all, full of nervous tension and with tears of frustration always close to the surface. Her roles seem the same to me -- all lonely, damaged this, and tenuously-forged connections to humanity that. If a movie has Laura Linney in it, I know it's gonna be fucking depressing, so why do I gotta pay to see it? Answer: I don't, beyaaatch!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's going to play Abigail Adams in the upcoming HBO miniseries. I don't think the Adamses were too dysfunctional, but maybe the movie will show them differently.

I liked Driving Lessons, although that family was quite dysfunctional.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

She gonna play ol' Abby all wintry and neurotic? Heh.

1:08 PM  
Blogger SB said...

I had never noticed the Linney Effect before, and now you've ruined her for me because you're right. Damn.

I may have to pay homage to this feature of yours by stealing it.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Jory Dayne said...

Ooh except in Man of The Year (I was the other one who saw it) where she was like, FULL ON crazy and all hopped up on scribbly-scrabbly.

But maybe you are going to have a Robin Williams Rule, and these two will intersect in a horrifying way.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....the Laura Linney effect? I never picked up on that, but I do have a Nicole Kidman effect. My friends and I have developed a fear of all things Kidman when it comes to movies. "The Portrait of a Lady" anyone?

5:58 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Like most actors and actresses around whom there is a Rule, Kidman gets one pass and one pass only: hers is "To Die For."

And sb, you could not possibly honor me more than to take what I throw out there ... feel free to bebop and scat all over my bassline! :-)

10:15 AM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

She's like the poor man's Julianne Moore, who is beautiful and talented, but also always seconds from crumbling.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I never noticed the Linney Effect either, but seriously, after "Love, Actually" (which I secretly love more than new Star Wars, shh!) and "The Savages" (OMIGAWD! Don't go see a movie before reading the synopsis) I can totally agree with you on the Linney Effect.

BTW, I finally did the meme thing. Sorry, my life got in the way, but I'm back to blogging regularly.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home