Saturday, November 24, 2007

Usage notes

So we're watching Silver Streak the other day for like the mobillionth time, and it occurs to me -- alongside the realization that nobody as funny-looking as Gene Wilder could become a major star today, which definitely leaves us all the poorer -- that nobody uses the word "terrific" anymore. I mean, nobody. It's a word beyond ironic hipster revival, a word irretrievably locked in the '70s, chugging along bearing the weight of twin panniers full of naive enthusiasm and stone-deep unkillable whiteness, and it blows my mind that this once was a world in which it could be used at face value. 

"Terrific" is dead! Long live "terrific!"

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was watching Silver Streak too. It had to be on TV because you wouldn't rent that I imagine. I got to the part where he's just gotten back on the train after being thrown off, and then I had to go somewhere. It seemed like a decent movie though.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Yup, random Thanksgiving-week TV viewing -- we came in at the very first, and I called it within about three seconds. It is a pretty good movie, all things considered, but more than that, it's one of those that once you start watching it randomly on TV, you're pretty much sucked into watching the whole thing. Like with "The Natural" or "That Thing You Do."

10:55 AM  
Blogger Kingfish said...

Only a few weeks left until BSG!!!!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Woooooooooooooo!!!!

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE this! I'm single-handedly trying to reintroduce the word "rad" into the vernacular. These kids today with "sik" and "phat." It doesn't count taking a word alread in the vernacular and using it in a different way. Rad, viz a viz radical, is unique unto itself. Rawk on with word reintroduction. I'll definitely support the "terrific" movment.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home