Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Just want [to be] a girl/ as cool as Kim Deal

A Selection of Music-Related Triumphs From My Past

--Bought and learned to play bass guitar at age 31. 

--Saw Jesus and Mary Chain a mere 2 weeks after I had a baby.

--The first concert I remember going to: Men At Work, at age 8. Get that "Wiggles" shit away from me, fool.

--First CD purchase: Bob Dylan Bootleg Series, Vol. 1 (this in a year when Color Me Badd was allowed to run free in the world). 

--Saw Tenacious D's first road gig (Maritime Hall, 1999). Also D-related: At their Halloween show at the Warfield a few years later (I was dressed as Florna, complete with baby-doll-face brassiere), KG came down off the stage to hand me his setlist, and was rewarded with lipsticky kiss sandwich between me and my friend K. 

--Bought that stupid 2 Live Crew CD as an act of political protest because it was banned. Never took it out of its shrinkwrap.

--Had a bit of a brush with the law after a Guns N Roses show in 1991; telling the cop we were about half of the National Honor Society didn't keep us out of cuffs either, yo. 

--Snagged Kim's setlist and Frank's pick at the Pixies double show two years ago.

--Got into the Beatles, on my own (without parental guidance, I mean), when I was in 6th grade; obsession continues still, but at least I'm past the point of trying to call Paul McCartney from a payphone in the middle of the night anymore like I did in 1987 (Hi, Jessica! Ahh, remember the days?). 

--At Lenny Kravitz show in NYC in 1993, found All-Access Backstage Pass, gave it to Mr. Gleemonex (who viewed the man as a minor god); Mr. G actually ended up meeting his hero and I was officially the Best Girlfriend Ever. 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Stink Eye & Tube Steak said...

You are too good, a setlist and a pic from the Pixies. . .oh, I worship you!

7:05 AM  
Blogger alyce said...

You've met KG ('cage')? I bow before you.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home