Friday, April 15, 2011

U Draw Ass

Can we please stop with saying "[something] cum [something]"? Please?

You'd think in the post Beavis and Butt-Head era of modern society that we'd avoid that particular construction, and yet you still see it all over the place. I know, I know, it's real and valid and all that, but A)please, and B)must we?

You can't think of any better way to put it? You don't want to go with the more modern "slash" -- either the word, or the character, or (as with Conan O'Brien) a small icon of the head of Slash? What's your point? You want to show you know how to use the construction, or that you totally know Latin shit, or that you're above the immature giggling that is everyone else in the world's first reaction? Well yay for you. But I'm asking all writers of the world: Please don't, okay?

Thank you, from Gleemonex.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Betsy said...

Sofa cum bed! Sofa cum bed! My inlaws really think we need one and think we can probably find a good one on the internet.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Guinness74 said...

I promise that if I ever blog again (dear grad school and two jobs, stop being a pain in my ass!) that I will only use cum in its non-Latin form.

...which will serve to horrify my mother, I'm sure.

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home