Thursday, September 09, 2010

Dr. Lyle Evans

Internets, I have to tell you this: Mad Men is the reason there's no reason to go to the movies anymore.

This season is ON FIRE. I have become as vehement and unstoppable an evangelist for it as I am for The Wire, which is to say, people who consider themselves filled with the LORD (and who always all-caps the word LORD) will recognize a similar unhingement in me as that which they find in themselves.

Which is to say: Holy Drunken Out-Of-Control SHATNER, is Mad Men awesome.

It's not about the clothes (which are wonderful) or the envious nostalgia for drinkin' & smokin' like it weren't bad for ya (although, well ...) or the thing where when guys you know drink to excess and skirt-chase, it sucks, but when Don Draper does it while being handsome in a suit it's awesome. None of those things. It's about some of the best-written, nuanced, complex, real, honest human life ever captured on film. You forget you're watching fiction, you forget you're watching period drama -- you just live in that world, fully immersed, until it's over, and then it stays with you and you find yourself thinking about it days, weeks, months, years later.

It really is that good. I wouldn't steer y'all wrong.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Maggie said...

Seriously. After that scene with Don and Peggy battling it out, I felt exhausted it was so damned good. The Wire may always be the best show every on television for at least four seasons to me, but Mad Men is coming damned close this season.

Can't believe I'm delurking twice in a week. Will return to usual introverted lurking status as soon as MM or The Wire are no longer being discussed.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

No, Maggie -- stay! I like you! :-)

1:25 PM  
Blogger alyce said...

That one small scene when he rests his hand on hers had me wracked with silent sobs. Hot damn!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home