Monday, January 12, 2009

You’re so vain, you prob’ly think this post is about you

Here’s the thing: There are plenty of reasons I don’t watch Gossip Girl (note the returns of BSG! Lost! Friday Night Lights! Big Love! 24! [shut up it’s awesome]! The Office! 30 Rock! Monk! Psych! Burn Notice!), but the biggest reason of all – besides a general aversion to the “rich young assholes prancing around like they matter” genre – is this one episode of it that I saw once.

This brunette, one of the leads, had carefully arranged a meeting at the skating rink at Rockefeller Plaza, involving herself, her dad, some other guy, and a couple of other people – don’t know, don’t care who – and had all the timing, and words, and outfits all set up just so. Needless to say, someone failed to perform according to script, and the whole thing fell apart and waaaah.

GodDAMN, did that push my buttons.

See, there is a person from my past – won’t say who, or even what gender or when in my past this was, because I don’t know if this person might be a Damn Kids reader, and if so, he/she would probably be flattered by my writing about him/her in any capacity – but this person saw the entire world and everybody in it as set dressing on the stage that was his/her Fabulous Life. I cannot count the number of times I was drafted into his/her schemes, or was the beneficiary/intended audience of one, or an unwitting player, whether bit, walk-on, or major supporting role (needless to say, he/she was always the STAR). Each actor in a given scheme was usually only handed their own pages of the script, as it were, so that this person alone knew the whole setup – he/she was writer, director, producer, publicist, agent, etc. – and everyone else was supposed to know nothing of the production at all. We – the other five billion Earthlings -- were supposed to think it was entirely organic, when in reality, nothing about this person ever was if he/she could help it.

Goddamn motherfucking tiresome. So, no, I don't wanna watch a teevee show about that.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger HHL said...

i'm sure i know who it is. heh.

3:47 PM  
Blogger francine said...

and just so you know, i will now be checking your site and laughing like eight (or twelve or twenty) times a day...

4:15 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

I bet you do, HHL. ;-)

And Francine: Shatner love ya! Welcome to our humble blogge. Have a pecan.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Twelve said...

"Rich young assholes prancing around like they matter" is the best ever name for this genre.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

I can't help it. I am a loyal viewer.

I just got rid of my HBO and Showtime subscriptions due to my hefty mortgage and now I'm SO SAD that I'm missing Big Love.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

To each his or her own, Panda. ;-)

Too bad about Big Love ... guess you'll have to wait ten hundred years for the DVDs.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Panda, we're about to be in the same boat you're in re: mortgage etc. Not a big thing cause I don't like Big Love...but my wife froths at the mouth.

Anyway...Glee, I hear ya, but are you not watching Big Bang Theory? Yeah, it's laugh-tracky, but it's also geeky-goodness. I highly recommend it.

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home