Monday, April 21, 2008

' ... and you could do it on a cloud, and not get pregnant OR herpes.'

So we watched a couple movies this weekend – No Country for Old Men was every bit as good as you’ve heard, maybe even better, and BOY does it stick with you. An instant classic of the Coen brothers' canon. Juno, on the other hand …

Mr. Gleemonex requested I start the post with this:

affectation
Pronunciation:
\a-fek-tā-shən\
Function: noun
1 a: the act of taking on or displaying an attitude or mode of behavior not natural to oneself or not genuinely felt b: speech or conduct not natural to oneself : artificiality
2 obsolete : a striving after
synonyms: see pose

I’m not saying it was a terrible movie (although Mr. Gleemonex might). There was plenty to recommend it, namely one Michael Cera, plus also the parents and Jennifer Garner, and a couple of nice and/or funny moments, but William H. SHATNER was that screenplay a bust. Even allowing for the possibility that I’m harshing on it because of Miss “Diablo” “Did You Know I Used To Be A Stripper? Well I Totally Did! And Also I Have Tattoos!” Cody and the fact that as an Oscar winner for Best Original Screenplay, she’ll have cred for years to come and we’ve not seen the last of her yet, not by a long shot – even allowing for that, it was still some precious little indie thing that your basic first-time screenwriter should’ve maybe workshopped a little more.

You don’t have to pack seven kewl popcultrefs into an eight-word sentence, for instance, and the whole 1977-vs.-1993 music dialogue tiresomeness is nakedly meant to show how much you know about music and how much teh awesum you are, and rings totally false. There is a term in fanfic – “Mary Sue” – which neatly describes what you did there, and with the character of Juno in general, which maybe someone should’ve pointed out while this thing was still in preproduction.

Plus, all that fucking Moldy Peaches on the precious mincing indie soundtrack? Makes me want to punch people in the fucking throat. Songs that sound like they were made by graduate stoodents who are really into “early music” can’t do anything BUT blow. Learn it, know it, live it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger SB said...

Agreed! I was cringing during the first 15 minutes because of the dialogue, but after about midway through I felt like it had toned down a little bit. Or I became numb.

The Moldy Peaches, on the other hand, have got to get gone. Jesus.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Ex.Act.Ly.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

But I enjoyed it! Maybe due to the fact that I was trapped on a trans-Atlantic flight at the time.

Hmmm... I also enjoyed "Stardust" on that flight.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Oxygen deprivation, dear.

I mean, I kinda liked it too, but not like I thought I would. Lots got in the way.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

See...I was thinking I wouldn't get it/love it b/c I wasn't hip to the jive,and what the KIDS are up to...but perhaps claiming that one IS hip to the jive is what makes it so intolerable...interesting. Oh, and No Country is still (after a month) on my mind often. Can't get rid of, Glee.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home