Thursday, April 10, 2008

Monkey on yer back

Witnessed a tragedy today at Starbucks: A man whose coffee needs have clearly turned from pleasant little pick-me-up/morning ritual to a beast that rides him with a firm whip hand. Waiting for my faintly ludicrous double tall skinny vanilla latte, I see the barista set down a tiny cup and call out "Quadruple espresso!" Guy reaches for it -- early 30s, unremarkable work wardrobe, iPod clipped to strap of messenger bag -- and I go, "That's hardcore," with an appreciative eyebrow raise, expecting some acknowledgment in the same spirit. He just looks at me with haunted eyes, clutches the cup like it's going to try to get away from him, and moves on. Oh, the humanity.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Meanie said...

that's intense.

my girlfriend actually orders her tall skinny bleah bleah bleah with a temperature requirement (90 degrees) and THEY DO IT!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Oh, the humanity!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

My brother works at Starbucks and had a guy come in and order a mocha with six shots of espresso. He high-fived him.

I think it's time for that guy to forget coffee and just move on to hard drugs.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home