Thursday, September 20, 2007

Welcome to Halfassburg, Population ... Ehh, We Dunno, Whatever

I may have spoken here about the town where I live, which is just over the hill south of San Francheesy, but light-years away in so many ways ... it's this half-assed little surfer/dropout town, where half-assery has been refined to a new and exciting art form. Charming in some ways, but kind of frustrating in others, especially for people who still carry a fair amount of New York City around in their psychic make-up, know what I mean?

So, latest example: The Coffee Shop at the End of the Universe, this janky little local coffeehouse a block from our place, sits on a cliff about 100 feet from the edge of the Pacific Ocean -- million-dollar views you can savor for the price of a latte. They posted a notice recently that they were applying for a license to sell beer & wine, which I thought was fantastic -- especially since after Kid Gleemonex makes his or her appearance, me and Mr. Gleemonex can shuffle over there w/the baby and have ourselves a beer, without involving the car or babysitters and whatnot, right? So yesterday I stopped in for a coffee and I asked the guy on duty whether they'd gotten the license, and he said yeah, so I asked when they'd start selling. He replies, a couple of months -- cause they have to get the whole building re-wired so it can handle powering the coolers and kegerators and whatnot. Jeeeezus. The kind of thing you think they might've thought of a little earlier, no? Not here, not in this town, baby!

Oh well, better late than never. And meanwhile [sorry, Guinness]: ONE AND A HALF GAMES BEHIND! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to ignore the baseball comment in favor of sticking up for the coffee shop. (You know me, always in it for the underdog.) Anyway, my guess is that they wanted to actually get the license before spending the money to get everything rewired. If you don't get the license, there's no sense in spending the money.

By the by...Red Sox will win the division this year. I guaran-fuckin-tee it. That's how it's gonna be. Period. End of discussion. At least, that's my opinion.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home