Thursday, June 21, 2007

Satan's garden mulch

People.

Can someone please tell me what is the point of arugula? I am right this minute interrupting my lunch -- an otherwise quite good chef-type salad from the work cafe -- because it is made with arugula instead of normal lettuce (Romaine, iceberg, butter, red leaf, green leaf, what have you) and I had to ask you guys about this.

Arugula. Jesus. It's got that sort of waxy thing going, like spinach (you know how it creaks against your teeth?), but with a very -- I dunno, leafy overtone, like if you were to eat a handful of ficus leaves. Dusty, kind of limp ficus leaves. And it looks like a cross between spinach and dandelion greens.

It's like, they use arugula because Romaine is so passe, so Middle America or something -- it's purely snob shit, because nobody -- NOBODY -- loves them some arugula.

This is bullshit, man. And I won't stand for it.

[Hey, csr_reporting_is_my_life: d'you think this has something to do with Pride Week in the caf? You do remember the "Flaming" something-or-other from last year ... ]

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only good thing about arugula is that in the UK, they call it "rocket."

2:38 PM  
Blogger Jory Dayne said...

Ughhh -- I'll tell you what's worse. So I've started making all my own meals (business lunches aside) and I was going to make myself some salad. So I picked me up some arugula because... well, yes, because it sounded so snobby... almost classy. Celebrity classy. And not like, real celebrity classy, like Paris Hilton classy, like maybe I would eat some arugula and then wash it down with VOSS and then wipe my mouth with a 20 dollar bill, crumple it up and then throw it over my shoulder onto the ground.

But no, upon eating it, I had the exact same reaction you did, except dammit! I bought all this damn arugula! For me!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

this post killed me - as did the last comment by jory dayne. if i'm eating arugula, it has to be mixed in with normal lettuce. i think of it as like parsley or something.

glee, your caf has gotten far too big for its britches (as we say in Cowburg).

6:44 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

God, I love you guys!

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the flaming chicken fajitas with the little rainbow flag next to it!

And yes, I am reading your blog on my vacay...

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home