Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The year of living soberly


Internets, it’s time I fess up: Despite my incessant large talk about booze and how great it is (seriously, it is), I haven’t had a drink since early January. That's the longest time I've been totally sober since I was, like, seventeen. It blows.

So why am I doing this? I have, shall we say, a medical condition, which requires abstention, and this situation won’t change until the end of September; the condition is therefore limited timewise, which is good (nay, a mercy of the gods), but it is near-absolute for that time. Jesus Christ, sometimes I wish it were the seventies.

Things — things have changed in my life because of the sad lack of booze, and I can no longer carry on this charade (please pronounce that in your head as “cha-RAHD,” just this once). I’m going to have to start blogging now and then about the effect teetotaling has had on my lifestyle (thus the new tag, representing as galling an idea to me as it must be to you: clean livin).

I’ll take it easy today, and start with a list:

The Perks of Not Drinking
1) No hangovers.
2) Easy on the household budget.
3).

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

No hangovers?

Oh wait, you already said that one.

Yep, that's all I got.

2:55 PM  
Blogger srah said...

Are you just telling us about this medical condition of finite length for the first time or did I miss out before? If it is what I think it is... congratulations?

#2 is the main reason I abstain, when I do. I am cheap.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

Whoa, hey! Congratulations! Please tell me we can refer to it as Francoise from now on.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Harry said...

Hmm. Curious post. I'm suspicious.

Oh, here's one:
3.) Less remorse from saying wildly inappropriate things. At least if I say them sober, it was somewhat intentional. Probably.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Now, who says the American educational system is failing? Y'all got it on the first try!

Thanks, thanks ... I'm blushing!

Yup, little Francoise Gleemonex -- or will it be Francois? we're doing it the old-fashioned way -- is scheduled to make his or her entrance to the world sometime around 9/25/07. The Gleemonex Credo and Word of Honor: No husbands were coerced, tricked, or oopsed into this ... ;-)

And bgirl, as usual, you nailed yet another point -- the blessed absence of "Oh shit, what did I SAY to them last night?" I'm a verbal girl with a weird confessional streak when in my cups ... and also, there tends to be singing and interpretive dance involving Bonnie Tyler and/or Lionel Richie, so -- hell, a 10-month break from that sort of shenanigans can't be ALL bad, right?

8:45 AM  
Blogger srah said...

For bizarre cravings, here is something I just read about:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/dining/09kool.html

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ms. Meander said...

medical condition? ending in September? hmmm.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Princess Sparkle Pants said...

Ooh... big fun! Congratulations! I wonder if your bedtime stories will be FBFW comic books???

10:46 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

PSP: You know how people who had Not Good parents sometimes vow that they'll break the cycle in the next generation? It's kinda like that ... my kid will be saddled with enough of my bizarrity just by being my kid, so I'm gonna try REAL HARD to avoid passing along this particular handicap/obsession ... ;-)

2:02 PM  
Blogger flyabuv said...

my boyfriend is one that usually drinks bud or pbr and gets drunk for under $20, it takes me about $40 because I like foo foo shots like lemon drops and washington apples; but we have friends that seriously spend over $100 a weekend on drinking. Yeah, I would rather spend that on groceries.

congrats!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home