Monday, May 07, 2007

"There is no such thing as global warming." Yeahh.


So it's going to be in the low 90s in San Francisco today -- it's already around 80 -- and I tell you what, for this one day, I'm ignoring the fact that soon enough this whole town will be underwater, and I'm going out to run -- OUTSIDE. Not on the treadmill, away from the whipping winds and the frigid arctic blasts of the typical SF day -- no, I'm going OUTDOORS.

Walking to work this morning -- in a miniskirt and flip-flops! -- it felt like walking to my summer internships in New York back in the day. Warm, with a hint of the genuine hotness to come soon enough. Mornings started later in NYC -- people here get to work at 8:00, an unholy and inhuman hour to begin work, if you ask me -- so I'd be right in the thick of the morning rush at 9:00, 9:30 (Intern Time). The subway was, of course, a steambath, but it wouldn't be as bad in the morning as it was in the afternoon on the way home -- it would still feel somewhat refreshing to come up out of the tunnel in the a.m. I'd usually stop in at whatever was my corner deli at X Unpaid Gig for an iced coffee regular and an onion bagel w/scallion cream cheese, and try not to sweat too much in my College-Budget Kind-of-Officewear (no flip-flops -- it was the early '90s, and the East Coast) before I even got to the building to begin another day of stepping and fetching (and in one horrible, memorable case, cold-calling for product placement). Good times, good times.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger SB said...

When I stepped into the decidedly not-cold air this morning in Daly City, I thought the same thing: "This is like Spring in D.C.!"

Except without the energy-killing humidity following for the next 150 days.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Ms. Meander said...

:( my daughter wants to go immerse herself in all of that in 4 short years. ten hours away from me. she LIVES for NYC, for the subway system. it's food for her soul, in some strange way.

how long did it take for the thrill to wear off, may i ask?

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home