Friday, May 11, 2007

Of rugby shirts and high-waisted jeans ...


From a thread on a board I frequent:

Five very 1992 things about my freshman year of college:

everybody had the Singles soundtrack CD; Sonic Youth played at FBH; shows I saw that year included the Lemonheads and Lenny Kravitz
We watched Beverly Hills, 90210 on the common-room TV. In real time.
The big campus issue was divestiture (by our school and its endowment) from South Africa
There was widespread drunken celebration of Clinton’s election (I may or may not have drunk-dialed my brother in the midst of same, to share the awesome)
Nobody (NOBODY) had email; my work-study job involved a lot of faxing

How 'bout y'all?

PS: I'm'a be off the grid till Tuesday, the 22nd --
Molokai may have the Internets (a series of tubes), but I ain't gonna be on 'em. Alohaaaaaa!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

chokers. lots of chokers.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Princess Sparkle Pants said...

1. We were bow heads. Big, giant, puffy bows.
2. Secretly, we all listened to Wilson Phillips.
3. Angst was shown by straightening our hair. There was no such thing as "goth".
4. Starbucks wasn't a daily item in our to-do list.
5. I still bought tapes. Cassette Tapes. For my car. Which may or may not have been a teal Geo.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Ms. Meander said...

1. C&C Music Factory on my roommate's boom box. All the time.
2. Seasonal novelty sweaters.
3. Drawing straws at the pizza place, the loser did not order a drink and instead sipped out of everyone else's drinks with their own straw, and the savings contributed to the gas tank after the war hiked prices to a DOLLAR A GALLON!!!11OMG!one!
4. 90210. Yeah.
5. MTV still played music videos.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Nat said...

Mork & Mindy in the commons room. Junior year Reagan was elected and everyone was envisioning global nuclear destruction. Too many people had the Saturday Night Fever album freshman year, but then Ramones and Talking Heads took over in subsequent years.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home