Monday, March 10, 2014

Old Lady Gleemonex Tells All

35/40

--I do not know what a podcast is, I've never listened to one (or ... do you watch them? or ... liiike ... they're on your iPod? or your computer? the radio? anyway ...), would not have the first clue how to access one or why, cannot imagine spending a microsecond on finding this out, and am hella annoyed whenever that's the only way to get at something that I think would be interesting, because I'm not gonna do it and so that stuff is obscured from me forever.

--I write checks. It's kind of soothing. There are some bills I pay by phone or online, I know how to do it and it's fine, whatever. But I grew up with such financial instability (plus the weird emotional baggage surrounding money and where it comes from and where it goes -- both mysteries of the highest order in my family of origin) that it's deeply satisfying to keep the books in my check register, write things down with my own hand, have the numbers come out right, sign with a flourish, put a stamp on the envelope and mail it; that tactile experience stills a part of my brain that a few clicks on a computer don't necessarily work upon.

--I'd rather communicate via text than by any other means. I'd prefer a series of funny texts over a phone call, any and every day. That being said, I really do seriously, sincerely think less of people whose texting is entirely or almost entirely the abbreviations-and-numbers kind of texting. RU gz cmg 2nite? Yes -- but I'm going to judge you for asking me like that.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger francine said...

I hate answering the phone and talking on it. It's something that runs in my family. I talk on the phone with 2 people irregularly enough that it allows me to enjoy and look forward to those conversations. But that is where I draw the line. I can never remember how to correctly write a check but I feel it's something important to teach children (along with proper cursive handwriting and how to use a card catalog). I don't understand podcasts which infuriates me because I know there's a lot of NPR stuff that could make me want to walk/jog for 3 hours each morning. So I blame that for keeping me doughy in the thighs.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

We got taught how to write checks (and sundry other math-related life skills) in fourth grade by Mrs. U. the math teacher. Amazing what I remember from that year, vs what absolute shit I am at remembering stuff I learned yesterday.

12:33 PM  
Blogger jsisto said...

You complete me.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home