Friday, August 23, 2013

Well, I coulda had a payin' job / workin for some fucked-up slob

So here's the front cover of one of my textbooks -- it doesn't say, anywhere on here, which book, but I obviously loved my own art so much that I thought it worth keeping at the end of the year. (There are more of these, o lordy.)

Clearly I was going through some ... conflicting themes in my many influences. Revisiting the Chronicles of Narnia,* quotin' some Calvin & Hobbes, some Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and some rad buttons I saw at Spencer's in the Golden Triangle Mall, and pretending that in my free time, after church, youth group, National Honor Society, 17 nerdy school club memberships, tennis team, acing the PSAT, and holding on to second place in the class rankings, I might just possibly be a "Wasted Rock Ranger." Good times, tenth grade. Good times.



-------------------------------------------------
*In retrospect, I realize that I was trying really hard, one last time, to make sense of the whole Jesus thing, after believing without understanding at all my whole life -- I gave up about two weeks into my freshman year of college, but I did really try.  

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger francine said...

If my kids get to school and everything is computerized and they don't have physical textbooks and the chance to accessorize them via brown paper bags, I'm going to cry a thousand tears for them.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home