Thursday, May 17, 2012

I've never met a literate stonemason.

Yoicks, I really disappeared on you guys for awhile, huh? I had to go back to the Day Job for awhile, but that's all done with now -- thanks to the twin factors of Mr. Gleemonex is awesome and daycare for two = almost as much as our jumbo Cali mortgage, I have parted ways with that joint forevermore. I am now officially a full-time mom and part-time writer -- which is actually my dream job, no kidding around.

And as happy as I am with this new arrangement, it's weird -- I've never not worked for dollars, not since childhood. I was hustlin my parents and grandparents for cash when I was like four years old (extra chores, what have you), started full-charge babysitting when I was nine, kept the church nursery all through high school, had lemonade stands, pulled a wagon full of soft drinks, ice and candy bars through the Reunion grounds while people were getting their camps ready, yada yada yada. A paycheck makes me feel safe -- I grew up in a freelance household, and y'all -- that life holds no romance to me, at all, and I'm only doing it now because I've run from it all my life and it's time to stop fucking around at stuff I'm NOT good at and get working on what I AM good at. Plus there's the ol' personal history factor, e.g. the fact that my dad was A)a massive sexist who didn't want his wife to work (because apparently it would have made his penis fall off) and B)not actually all that good at the "income generation" part of his self-designated Head of Household role, leading to all sorts of fun games such as "Did they shut the electricity off again today?" and watching my mom have to ask him for money to go to the grocery store -- not good memories, and exactly the baggage that led to me keeping my toxic pointless fuckaround of a day job longer than was good for any of us.

And but so, I am not my mom, Mr. Gleemonex is not my dad, and this is our life -- our kids will never be this age again, everything in my heart wants to be home with them, and now I finally have the time to write -- y'all best dig up your Z.Cavaricci long shorts, put some Violent Femmes in the CD player, and look the fuck out for this book I'm working on. It's gonna be awesome.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Twelve said...

So, so, so happy for you (although I will miss the meeting notebook posts a LOT). Best of luck on your book and all other writings!

1:06 PM  
Blogger francine said...

Don't you feel so free now? I mean, despite weeding through all the old baggage in your mind and all that? I'm at home with 2 since my nonprofit career pays about the same as putting 2 in daycare as well. HOORAY FOR YOUR WRITING (insert lots of additional exclamation points here)!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Thanks, Twelve! I brought home all the notebooks from my eight years on the job, so there may be gold in them thar hills yet ...

Francine: YES. Exactly. And thanks for the cheers for the writing, too -- gotta do this while it's still fresh in my mind.

9:42 AM  
Blogger alison said...

I will look out for your book. It better be available in Canada! Home with the kids is great. I'll always treasure my one-year mat leave. I wish I'd been able to take more.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Uncle Spike said...

Cannot WAIT to read what you have in store. And congratulations for leaving the corporate world! Sounded like hell to me...glad you're out.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

YEAH!

5:39 PM  
Blogger cygrl73 said...

Sweet! So happy for you! Can't wait for the book!!!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Awwww, you guys are awesome! Positive reinforcement: Just one of the many things my old gig lacked. I think I'll do better at this one.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Karla said...

Congrats!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home