Friday, May 29, 2009

The Aerosmith/Skid Row concert ROCKED!!!!!

Actual Things Written By My Classmates In My Sophomore Yearbook, the 1990 Crag, In Which I Sometimes Do but Mostly Don't Remember What the Fuck They're Talking About:
[Part II of a series]

I hope you’ll remember all we’ve done – yearbook chaos, San Antonio (remember the towel!) [I do not, sorry to say], U.I.L. tension …
--girl who ended up marrying a guy I call “Cutty” because he passed out in a lawn chair in the pouring rain one night in the back yard at my brother’s place in Austin, cradling a large nearly empty bottle of Cutty Sark

Never forget the SPIRAL STAIRCASE.
[accompanied by drawing of our math teacher’s hand, index finger extended, describing a circle in the air to illustrate how “math is a spiral staircase”]
--future member of the Dirty Dozen

The louder you are, the more they’ll listen.
--my boss on the yearbook staff, with whom I locked horns more than once

If I write this and pretend like it was a year ago this is what I’d say …
--guy who I obsessed over for a time, before I realized he was not what I had made him out to be, who friended me recently on Facebook and now subjects me and his other 400 (mostly female) friends to a neverending stream of “deep” observations

I can’t believe that the Publisher man who won all that money believed you were from England!
--girl who was part of a group of us that ran into a Publisher’s Clearinghouse $10 million dollar winner (his pic had been all over local TV) at Chili’s in Denton; also, sad evidence that I was still doing my fake British accent at this late date

Remember when I was reading Lord of the Flies [at a tennis tournament, at which we both lost … again] and Toby told me that Piggy was gay and a monster was gona come out of the woods with a six-pack?
--CK, partner in crime

Keep your brother in line!
--insanely, dangerously delusional person

I KNOW THAT I DONT KNOW YOU AS WELL AS I WISH I KNEW YOU BUT I DO KNOW THAT YOU ARE SMART AND BEAUTIFUL AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT WHEN I COME BACK FROM TECH NEXT YEAR I WANT YOU TO GO OUT WITH ME.
--annoying guy who drew hearts encircling my face everywhere it appeared in the yearbook; eventually flunked out of Tech, then waited on me, my mom & my grandmother at a Red Lobster years later and pretended not to know who I was

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love these so much.

That last one seems like the real-life ending to "Say Anything." Imagine - you could have brought him to college with you after your dad embezzled all that money!

9:22 AM  
Blogger alison said...

Oh, this is funny. I laughed at 'Remember the towel!' because my yearbook signatures are full of things like that -- things that probably had great meaning or were insanely funny to a 17-yr-old, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. Like why Kim wanted me to 'remember when Susan A. wanted me to light her smoke? Too bad everyone was still in the water. Good times."

3:36 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Ha! Just shows how we all kind of basically had the same high school experience ... I worry about the kids today, with all their alternatives and shit, you know? Heh.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

I really love this feature. I wish you could read tehm at the yearbook-themed Cringe later this summer.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Heh! Well, you never know when Bizness might call me to NY. On a free trip. With cocktails paid for and a luxe suite mine for the asking.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home