Friday, September 19, 2008

you're a tall glass of water, SPENCER

For a baseball-obsessed person, I sure haven't blogged much about the greatest sport this season, have I? Well, if you follow baseball at all, you know what a sad, melted season this has been for my Yankees -- about whom I had so much hope at the beginning -- and that just doesn't lend itself to frequent blogging. I blame the long farewell to Yankee Stadium for the general malaise -- at least, the part that isn't due to the ever-present Failure Stank of Alex "Fucknuts" Rodriguez. The whole Joba thing (I TOLD you guys not to make him a starter -- he, who could be the setup man that makes the difference, the closer for the next ten years once Mariano "Greatest and Most Beloved Closer of All Time" Rivera hangs 'em up and becomes Pitching Coach For Life), injuries, near-misses, total misses, bobbles, blowouts, slo-mo trainwrecks, lightning bolts of bad juju -- it was all too much, it overwhelmed the good and the occasional flash of brilliant, like fireworks on a foggy SF 4th of July. Derek Jeter is really the only reason anybody's watching these last few games -- he's still playing like the Series is on the line, because he doesn't know any other way, Shatner bless 'im. Last night, Mike Mussina -- thinky, headcase old Moose, a guy whose career was given up for dead before the season started -- won another one (his 18th) in this strange renaissance year he's having, and I swear to y'all, I actually got teary-eyed when he left the mound -- his last (Real) Yankee Stadium start ever (although if I were they, I'd sign him for another year or two -- there's life in them old legs yet!). Sorry for the thought salad, y'all ... guess my brain's as jumbled as the team has been. Well, there's always next year!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger SB said...

For the first time ever, I actually feel a bit of empathy for the Yankees, as my own beloved Tigers went down the crapper this season as well.

So much promise, back in May. Next year indeed...

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets Go Redsox!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Traceace: Don't think I won't cut you, bitch!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know better than to join Traceace in his cheering.

I will say also that I'm glad the Yankees won their final home game...they deserved that. And I'm going to miss the ol' stadium. I only visited once, but it was a beautiful thing. I won't cry now that it's gone...but it's a shame they couldn't have let it stand for a few more decades.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home