Thursday, August 09, 2007

'buck you

OK so, I am officially Not Allowed to Eat Sugar until Kid Gleemonex is done borned (blah blah blah bullshit technical flunkage of 3-hr glucose test I DON'T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT). Which leaves my range of wordly pleasures greatly diminished -- they took my booze, they slashed my caffeine, they warned me off of sushi and unpasteurized cheese and deli meats and all kinds of things that are fun and good -- sugar was all I fucking had left. And until this morning, I thought even the little caffeine I was allowed was going to be inaccessible to me -- you see, generally, I like a little coffee in my sugar and milk. (Blame Grandma Gleemonex for letting me join her in her morning cup of coffee starting when I was three.)

But oh, this morning, kids -- I tried a new thing: the sugar-free vanilla fake-o shit in my tall nonfat latte. And it was goooooood.

And here's the reason for the tag I'm applying to this post: It was at Starbucks. The Buck. The Evil Empire, killer of mom-n-pop shops across the known universe (and probably beyond), They Who Roast Their Beans Over Fires Made of Live Kittens.

And I'm going to continue to go there for this beverage, instead of to my wonderful and totally kickass favorite, Nas (about which I have said, often and with wholehearted belief, is "everything that's right with America"), because the babes at Nas know my regular order (small double nonfat latte) and make it when they see me coming, and I don't want to throw them off. I'll go there on the rare occasions when I can afford the three packs of Sugar In the Raw that I dump into my regular bev.

But except for those precious, shining days -- the Buck it is. All hail our green-aproned overlords.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

We call it "Fourbucks."

Sucks about the sugar, yo. I don't know that I could handle that (though it would probably be the best thing for me, and the rest of 'Merica, come to think of it).

6:41 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Ha! Fourbucks. ;-)

Yeah, this is actually harder than quitting drinking, if you can believe that. I can't even eat very much FRUIT. Haaaaaaaaate.

1:16 PM  
Blogger HHL said...

here in suburbaplex land Starbucks has pretty much killed off all independent purveyors, so if you're a coffee person you can't really avoid them. That said, I really don't hate them, and actually kind of like 'em if the truth be known. The one I used to go to, right around the corner from my house, had very low employee turnover, and of the approx ten regular workers (their shifts were irregular), about 8 of them would have my venti bold coffee sitting on the counter by the time I got there (this, even though I screwed them up occasionally by ordering something different: the wonderful but pricey venti Americano with an extra shot, light on the hot water). Alas, they closed that store down in favor of a fancy new standalone they built a couple of miles down the road in the opposite direction from the office -- a decision I still don't understand because that store did a LOT of business. Of course, the move did place the store in the city limits of Colleyville, which might count for something, and now Raffy Palmeiro doesn't have to drive his Rolls as far to get his lattes (it was always freaky to see him getting out of that car in his backwards cap, rotting cargo shorts, and flip-flops -- we were on the same coffee schedule, so I saw him there about 3 times a week). Umm. So yeah. I guess I kind of digressed there. Nevermind.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Heh! Yeah, it's always been kinda hard for me to get really worked up about Starbucks and the proliferation thereof -- I mean, it's frickin convenient to have one on every corner, and if you patronize the same one, they'll get to know you after awhile. They treat their employees fairly and have a decent environmental/SR component, so ... I dunno, you know? And they're successful because they know how to run their game -- mom and pop, god love 'em, can't process 50 8-word orders in under ten minutes, whereas the Buck sure can. My affection for Nas has a great deal to do with the fact that that double latte is freakishly good, tastewise -- I wouldn't bother stopping in if it weren't, no matter how nice the counter gals are (plus also they play GREAT music, so -- bonus!).

Raffy Palmiero? get OUT! That's awesome. I never see any celebs in the FiDi, much less in the grand halfassery that is P-town.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home