Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out

So I knew I get pretty good maternity leave and benefits — I work for 1) a California company, with 2) a big investment in making itself a “family friendly” employer, which company is 3) over 70% female and 4) in a female-dominated industry in 5) a city chock-full of employment choices for well-educated, qualified employees, both male and female, so there’s a good deal of concern with making sure people want to work here, and keep working here.

But I didn’t realize HOW good until my friend, who works for a national banking company which rhymes with “Mells Margo,” told me what SHE gets (she’s about 3 weeks behind me, gestationally speaking):
You have to take 1 week PTO before it can kick in, then 3 weeks fully paid and then 2-4weeks at 65% (2 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 4 weeks with C-Section). Then it looks like you are on your own!

People who work at convenience stores get better leave than that. I guess Mells Margo doesn’t care about having women work there, at all, huh?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

Let's just say that Mells Margo has a better maternity leave than most companies, especially in your home state. I threw a hissy fit over my maternity leave and ended up quitting my job over it. (v. dramatic, by the way)

So yeah, you've got the ideal, really. Be glad. Hug your company and tell them you love them.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Ms. Meander said...

actually, i worked for a convenience store when my first kid was born, and i got 3 weeks of completely unpaid time off after her birth before they started guilting me into coming back (the unstated warning being that if i didn't come back soon, they'd just replace me).

the second baby, i was working for the federal government of the US, for the Forest Service. i got 3 weeks of paid time off, which was just my accumulated sick leave and vacation leave that i had been saving up for years, and when that ran out it was 100% unpaid time off. not that it mattered, because after the third week they started pressuring me hard to come back. i never got a full month off with either of my kids.

i live on the wrong coast.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Whoa. You guys -- seriously? Damn.

Normal is what you're used to, right? But every once in awhile, living out here, you get brought up short against the reality of -- well, REALITY. I'm sorry it was so difficult for you guys, and I'm enraged on your (and all women's) behalf that it is so tough. Ugh.

My friend at Mells Margo is a Brit, and she had it in her cute British mind that the maternity leave situation here couldn't be THAT much different from the UK ... she figured, the UK worst-case scenario is 3 months fully paid, so how bad could it be here in California? Yeahhh.

You know, our country talks a real good line about the Sanctity of the Family and the Wonderfulness of Motherhood, yet at every turn there's some awful bog for families (and particularly women)to get mired in. :-(

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...you have it good. I got 12 weeks FMLA..not paid. At all. Had to send a check for our benefits in every month and don't think about coming back 1 day late...they will think you quit and sue you for the difference between your out of pocket costs and COBRA payments...have I mentioned how much I love my job????

12:11 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

oh my GOD. These stories are amazing, y'all -- you should see my face, with the comical bugeyed thing going. gah.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Princess Sparkle Pants said...

Even better? I had to go on Sick Leave at 85% pay for the four months of bedrest that lead to the birth of my child. Then had only six weeks with him post-delivery, yet had to return to work with everyone opining that I had had a nice, leisurely vacation. During which, we ate Ramen Noodles a lot!

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home