Thursday, December 14, 2006

Mightabeen: Careers Decided Upon and then Rejected at Various Stages of My Life

Young Gleemonex reads a lot, and has a very active imagination …


--Prima ballerina for the New York City Ballet (note specificity of both “prima ballerina” and “NYCB” )

--Teacher (note lack of specificity)

--Lawyer (it is a requirement of graduation that all liberal arts graduates consider this during their senior year; you have to prove it at the same time you pay your outstanding library fines.)

--United States Senator (D-Texas, and good luck with that, huh?)

--Graduate of the Air Force Academy (they, like, said I would be an officer?)

--Book editor for a major NY publishing house (cured of that by the $18K/yr salary offered by the one publishing industry recruiter that showed up during on-campus recruiting senior year of Ivy U., and the 200 people who tried to get an interview spot for this plum job)

--FBI agent (buh?)

--Consultant (I … don’t actually know what these people do, except that I thought it would be cool to go into some business with problems, and fix them. I’m not huge on follow-through.)

--Pro tennis player (hard to do when you pick up the sport at 14, never have a coach, and get beat by such tennis whizzes as a girl who had to go throw up during the match — I mean, yeah, she was ranked statewide, but she had the frickin flu, and her serve still got ALL up in my grill.)

--Surgeon (yeaahh, except for I hate all math, science, blood, guts, pressure, the idea of 10+ years of training, and holding another person’s life in my hands)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heartily recommend that you CONTINUE to reject "teacher." That's what *I* do. ::groan::

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home