Friday, August 15, 2014

Kurt would've wanted it this way.

I already know that the gals' clothing section at Target looks like the infinite version of most everybody's closets from Cowburg High School, c. 1990 right now. And it is mostly amusing -- sometimes in a bitch, please kind of way, sometimes in an ... ahh, youth kind of way. But that still does not prepare me for the sad trombone of the heart that happened when I saw a Nirvana 90 album-cover print on a poly-blend, made-in-some-third-world-hellhole sleep T-shirt in the lingerie section.* I mean ... I know what they're doing, which is figuring out that Gen X has money (and nostalgia issues) and that the Kids Today might like to represent the oldies. But -- it's just -- ugh. It was right there, staring out at me, and -- injustice on top of injustice -- on the same rack with that awful tattooed Sublime cover and a fucking KISS one. Ugh. Boooooo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*which I am just passing by -- I've learned my lesson about cheap bras and underpantalones.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jory said...

Oh man, the other day we saw a gaggle of young women (probs 18-21) at a local shop, each and everyone one of them in: yellow construction boots with athletic kneehighs, trashed denim short-shorts with pockets hanging out, flannel tied around the waist, brand-new vintage nirvana, pearl jam, and beavis and butthead shirts, teased out bleached hair with 8 inch roots, and dark lipstick with even darker eyebrows.

It was so calculated, so uniform, and so, so flawless that it was sort of mesmerizing. It was like a Harajuku sort of homage in its completeness and totally unnerving.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

On lingerie???

9:56 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

JORY!!!! I thought I replied to your reply ages ago -- my gosh, it's good to see you again. :-) What those girls were doing is what me and my friends were trying to do back in the day, but the Kids Today are better at it. Unfortunately ... or terrifyingly ...

Panda: Ha! Sleepwear, which is usually in the same section as the scratchy-ass cheapshit bras and possibly pre-worn pantalones of your local Target. :-)

12:33 PM  
Anonymous 12 said...

I saw that very same t-shirt the other day and thought, "huh, I should check Gleemonex's blog, because I wonder if she has seen such abomination; if so, she surely has some choice words regarding said injustice." And you did! Hooray for some things being right in the world!

10:40 AM  
Blogger francine said...

I saw that shirt too!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home