Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Haverchuck is King!

Hey, all -- just back from my belated birthday weekend with Mr. Gleemonex and Kid Gleemonex in the Russian River valley. It is so beautiful up there in the winter -- green and drizzly, foggy most of the time -- and our view of the river from our hot tub, way high on the mountain in Cazadero, was fantastic. 

In the spirit of that relaxed and happy vibe, let me continue to enthuse ... today's topic is: Freaks and Geeks, a show so fucking awesome that it was doomed from the first minute of the pilot. It was cancelled in 2000 after a season's worth of unbelievable dicking around by NBC execs (full story available if you dig around online a little), leaving behind fewer than two dozen episodes of unrelenting brilliance, one of those bright fine flashes of perfection you only get to see once or twice in a lifetime. It launched the careers of a dozen amazing young actors, made Paul Feig and Judd Apatow the names that they are, and set a standard for realism and truth the likes of which may never again be seen on television. 

Why am I talking about it now? Because as a birthday present for me, Mr. Gleemonex scored tickets for us to see a Freaks and Geeks Reunion Panel and Q&A with a ton of the original cast members and Paul Feig next Sunday! So we've been ignoring our Netflixes and the many groovy things on TiVo (new Monk, Psych, Amazing Race, Bourdain, Life on Mars, etc.) in favor of mainlining our special edition DVD set, trying to watch the whole series over again before the event -- and oh my Shatner, you guys, this thing just keeps gettin better. Every episode makes you cringe -- a full-body, agonizing cringe -- at least five times, but also laugh your ass off, and of course it breaks your goddamned heart more times than I can count. It is just. so. fucking. good. 

Note to the comic genius Martin Starr (aka Bill Haverchuck): I'll try not to maul you, I promise, but I might have to put you in my pocket and take you home with us. 

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that such a thing existed! You have to tell us all about it.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I am so jealous. I loved that show from the minute it aired until its sad, sad demise. That scene with the Jason Segal singing "You're my Lady" had me crying, laughing and cringing all at once.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

Me too, man ... and every once in awhile, Mr. Gleemonex or I will bust out with Nick's original composition, "Lady L" -- good times!

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home