Wednesday, October 24, 2007

All the leaves are brown. Waaaaaaaah!

So I was in the city yesterday getting some semi-emergency dental work done (a tiny piece of my front tooth, long eroded by my admittedly terrible habit of eating salt-dipped lime quarters the way normal people eat normal fruit, broke off, and the result, while not painful, looked so hillbilly that it made me laugh in my own face every time I looked in a mirror, so the dentist bonded the chip and charged my insurance for a filling, woooo!).

Walking past some jerry-rigged little sidewalk cafe (why anybody wants to do that in this city is beyond me, especially on Market Street, with its bum/psycho population and constant mini-tornadoes of street garbage), I had occasion to hear one of my Most Hated Songs Ever: "California Dreamin."

Jesus H. Shatner, do I hate that fucking song. Get some motherfucking antidepressants, you couchbound muumuu-wearing bunch of hairy assholes! Draggy vocals, the whole bullshit thing about how everything in California totes rules (especially L.A., which, by the way, Grammar Police says the line should be "wish I WERE in L.A.," not "WAS in L.A." so nyaaah), a neverending Giant Tragic Flute Solo -- BALLS. I would like to punch every one of those douchebags in the throat, but I'd have to travel back in time to do it BEFORE they record this fucktacular song. Haaaaaate.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger SB said...

And thank YOU for sharing your pain by injecting that damn song into my head.

It's especially sucktastic because my brain doesn't know how to choose between making me sing lead or backup vocals.

10:15 AM  
Blogger HHL said...

doh! I've never analyzed the song or my feelings toward it... but I always kinda liked it. I guess it's just got that catchiness, sing-a-long quality. But I can definitely get your reasons for being anti-. And now that I think of it, I always punch out during the crappy flute part.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...the draggy vocals does it for me, but I still sing along. Much like sb, I can never pick a line, melody or harmony. But, it's not as bad as "Monday, Monday" where the lead singer (Papa?) tries to change keys near the end, but the rest of the band stays in the original key and he has to drop back. Probably the beginning of the end for them. Wow, I know way too much about this.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Panda!!!! said...

I sort of love the song, but have always cringed at the non-use of the subjunctive. Perhaps you would like the dance remixes better? HA!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Sarah Brown said...

Why would anyone wish they were in LA anyway?

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home