Friday, March 14, 2008

Apologize, schmapologize

About the Spitzer thing: Unlike Mrs. Spitzer, no FUCKING WAY would I stand by my husband if I and the world had just found out he'd been using prostitutes for years. Well, at all, actually -- one single time would be an instant, permanent total dealbreaker, no make-ups and no backsies, much less all that time, and all that money spent. Within forty-five seconds of receiving this news, I'd be on the horn with the world's best divorce lawyer, my financial planner, and the bank (withdrawing all funds to which I had legal claim), in that order, and on the way to the airport with my passport and a single change of clothes within five minutes after that. I would try to find some sort of decontamination shower as soon as possible, but the important thing would be to get the fuck away from this disgusting lying sack of shit to whom I had minutes ago been married, and never ever come back. I'm not saying this from a high-handed moral point of view, exactly -- I'm saying, I find it vile and repulsive and thoroughly repugnant, and there is no way I could ever look my husband in the face again, much less submit to any part of his body touching any part of mine (no show-of-support handholding for THIS cookie!). Even if I felt pity for the man -- which I emphatically would not -- there' s nothing I could do as his wife to save his career; that shit is TORCHED. And my show of support wouldn't save him from jail. And it wouldn't help his image, or mine -- who respects a woman who gets walked all over by a guy with feet that dirty? So, to hell with him. Let him go find comfort from some more whores, if they'll have him.

PS: HHL is right about the Spitzer investigation being mostly a political witch-hunt, but I disagree that prostitution is a victimless crime -- think about underage girls sold into prostitution by their families all over the world, or look at season two of The Wire for a concise sketch of how the system works and who's being exploited by it. My point is a person-to-person thing, not a larger societal thing, which I'll leave to people with more rationality than I currently possess.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger HHL said...

I understand the personal repulsion component here, so no comments on that.

But regarding the victimization aspect, I think you can separate the "slavery" and "underage" elements from the larger issue of what kinds of activities should be legal between consenting adults (do we have a right to control our own bodies or don't we?). There are a lot of parallels, such as criminalizing underage drinking and DWI while not criminalizing alcohol itself, in which laws are designed more pragmatically (and with a greater nod to individual liberty), primarily because they are less entangled with moralistic b.s. (e.g., the religious right saying that sex is a sin when not engaged in for the sole purpose of procreation).

Furthermore, there are a heck of a lot of other types of work that are similarly exploitative (e.g., exotic dancing, waitressing, entry-level sales jobs, publishing industry internships, etc) but are not outlawed. And why can you pay someone to have sex if you film it and put it on the internet, but not if you don't?

Finally (though there are plenty of other points to be made), it is just a plain fact of human existence -- dating back to the oldest civilizations -- that sometimes the most lucrative thing a person (male or female) possesses is the ability to rent out the use of their bodies (when you take the bible out of the equation, is having sex really all that different from giving a massage or digging a ditch?). Sure, the world would be a better place if that were never so, but there it is.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

All true ... you make good points, sir!

11:05 AM  
Blogger alyce said...

Aside from considering them only activities between consenting adults, we should think about whether or not one of the parties is truly able to consent, given a wide range of factors.

Prostitution is not always about a middle class call girl and a rich white man. It is often $5 BJs and a rock of crack and a history of sexual and physical violence and a lack of education and an inability to make good decisions.

I don't really want to comment on Prostitution: Good or Bad?

Among the things that are not getting enough play/air time are the myriad of ways he has f*cked not only his marriage (dear god, I hope she leaves him and fast) but also his daughters. This is both more than and as simple as the effects of adultery on children. And I hope the Spitzer girls (mother and daughters) get to a shrink ASAP.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

The daughters -- oh yes, Alyce. I am 100% with you there.

3:08 PM  
Blogger bgirl said...

I think even if you remove underage girls and forced slavery, prostitution is far from victimless. Sure, there are some lovely ladies selling they ass because they have the power to do so. But, even as we bask in the afterglow of the feminist movement, can we please just go ahead and acknowledge that many women are not free to make the best choices for thier lives. Can we just go ahead and admit that?

7:48 PM  
Blogger Gleemonex said...

[raises hand] Testify, bgirl. Testify.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home